Greetings from Tibet (Amdo) in Qinghai Province, China. Tibet has been utterly fantastic so far. You MUST come here, it's so amazing. And now I have really superb contacts.
The poverty here is really intense. I have been helping poor villagers, nomads and students who need scholarships. I am having really amazing adventures, especially in the nomadic regions. Next time, I'll come for a month!
Many students, if they do not receive my assistance face a life herding sheep or goats for the rest of their lives. You would be shocked if you could see the conditions that many people here live under.
Some people - just the other day - wept when I gave them even $25 (175 Chinese Yuan) for food, clothing, medical expenses or educational support.
I'm at 7,000-11,000 feet so the weather is indeed very comfortable. The Tibetans for the most part are as affable and warm as one could imagine and so grateful for the help I am providing. I plan to return in the Spring or Summer of 2010, hopefully with $10,000-$15,000 to help even more schools, villagers, monks, students and nomads. I've seen very few foreigners on this trip. The weather has been great because of the altitude and the time of year. I bought almost $6,000 with me and now it's all been (wisely) distributed.
I'm lucky to have been taken to some very off road places where time seems to stand still.
Here is the list of donations made from this trip to Amdo. The donations are either for living expenses, paying debts, purchasing clothing, food, school supplies and medicine assistance, scholarships, animals, seeds, food, fuel, blankets, books, sports equipment
(Some of the students use English names because us foreigners have such a hard time pronouncing their Tibetan names)
- Drongo Elderly handicapped lady 75 yrs. Old Karmathang Village Qinghai Province 300 RMB $45
- Wang Xiu Yan handicapped lady 70 yrs. Old Karmathang Village Qinghai Province 300 RMB $45
- Jomo lady 75 yrs. Old Karmathang Village Qinghai Province 150 RMB $23
- Renchen Jyid lady 78 yrs. Old Karmathang Village Qinghai Province 150 RMB $23
- Karmathang Primary School books, school supplies, sports equipment 2000 RMB $295
- Sodnamgyal Mother with two daughters and 5 children Bon Skor Village Qinghai Province 300 RMB $45
- Sonthar Gyal Father died from kidney cancer 120,000 RMB in debt for medical treatment Bon Skor Village Qinghai Province 300 RMB $45
- Sodnambum seven person family; 50 RMB per month for one year; 600 RMB total $90 Bon Skor Village Qinghai Province trustee name Yangdrung Kar
- Trojabun Bon Skor Village Qinghai Province 4 children, father and mother; 600 RMB. $90
- Bon Skor VillagePrimary School Qinghai Province books, school supplies, sports equipment 2000 RMB $295
- Huajabgyal Bon Skor Village Qinghai Province 300 RMB. Father and two children; Father and mother both ill $45
- Phakmo Bon Skor Village Qinghai Province 500 RMB 41 RMB per month for one year $74; Father, Mother, three children;
- Tsugi Widow, grandmother 300 RMB $45. For grandmother and 600 RMB for widow; she cried; husband died from eye cancer; baby and daughter Bon Skor Village Qinghai Province
- Shamba Family; middle school scholarship 14 year old girl; 1700 RMB $251 . Bon Skor Village Qinghai Province
- Huamoyak scholarship student high school 1000 RMB $148. Bon Skor Village Qinghai Province
- Karbay disabled lady; 300 RMB $45. Medical treatment for leg broken in motorcycle accident Bon Skor Village Qinghai Province
- Nomadic Family Hojor Nomadic Village 400 RMB $60. Husband, wife, two children
- Hojor Nomadic Village Primary School books, school supplies, sports equipment 1300 RMB $192.
- Ancient Monastery, Hainan Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, . 4 Monks (2 elderly) : 500 RMB. for each monk $74 each= $296 2000 RMB total for 4 monks
- Tsebo Village Leader Hojor Nomadic Village 300 RMB $45.
- Tharmo Tso old lady blind in one eye and problem with her leg; 300 RMB $45 Bon Skor Village
- Iyo single mother Bon Skor Village Qinghai Province disabled lady and mentally ill; one daughter and two sons; 960 RMB. $142 - 40 RMB per month for two years (trustee)
- Darjak Gyal family Bon Skor Village Qinghai Province Father, mother, 2 sons and 1 daughter; in debt medical treatment for Mom (50,000 RMB.); son needs high school scholarship; 700 RMB $104.
- Wobudi 78 yrs. Old. Bon Skor Village Qinghai Province 200 RMB $30.
- Dorjee Tashi 55 From village Sakarkongwa; Father farmer; one brother; 2 daughters (grown and married) Wife died 19 years ago; Monks give him food; Donation 200 RMB $30 for food, fodder for fuel
- Dhondup 48 yrs. old; farmer; From village Sakarkongwa; 1 daughter 17 and 1 son 16 in high school; donated 200 RMB $30 towards education
- Sanggye man 55 wife Dongtso 51;From village Sakarkongwa; farmers; 2 children boy 20 girl 16; also works construction earning 2000 RMB per year; wife has health problems with hands and feet; couldn't afford high school for his son who is now working ; donated 200 RMB $30
- Kalsang From village Sakarkongwa; 400 RMB $60 for family support
- Sakarkongwa Village School 2000 RMB $296 fire boxes (classroom heaters), sports supplies, books
- Luba high school student girl 200 RMB $30 Bon Skor Village
- 400 RMB $60 Gucheng Township University student boy
- Zhou Xian male age 21 student in Xining 200 RMB $30
- Raylene (Agudrolma) she received a scholarship to study at a girl's college in Rajasthan, India These funds were for airfare, train, hotels and other expenses to go from Xining to India. 4000 RMB 5,545RMB $590.
- Veronica 5,545 RMB $819 for university scholarship including tuition, food, dormitory and transport
- Tsemdo $148 1000 RMB university student
- Emily $148 1000 RMB university student
- Robert's Village 3 students 2,031 RMB. $300 ( 677 RMB. $100 each) for middle school fees: Tsedan Gyal 15 yrs. Tsethat Skyid 12 yrs.; Haljor 12 yrs.
- Funds to support several families near Guinin 3,385 RMB $500
Take care....I'll be happy to share the photos and some videos. For example, went to Quinghai lake, the largest lake in China the other day..233 miles in circumference. Wow.